Stories are powerful.
In public relations, your audience is two-fold. You need to catch the interest of the writer, editor or producer you’re targeting, but you also need to show that your story will be interesting to their audience.
Press releases are important and necessary, but effective public relations requires a cohesive strategy that takes advantage of numerous tactics including media pitches, the organization’s website and case studies. A savvy public relations strategy raises the profile of the organization, increases awareness of its mission and uses that awareness to create change and improve fundraising.
As a former newspaper reporter, I am experienced in writing attention-grabbing leads and crafting a memorable story that “sticks” with the audience. Many of my pitches have been picked up and reprinted word-for-word in newspapers and blogs.
I am also skilled in developing press releases and media packets that meet the needs of editors and producers and increase the likelihood of a story placement.
My public relations experience includes:
- Pitch and press release writing and media outreach for Howard-Sloan Professional Search
- Public relations strategy development and pitch and press release writing for Stephen-Bradford Search, including ghostwriting for firm president
- Public relations pitch and strategy development for the Freeplay Foundation (now known as Lifeline Energy) eBay Charity Auction, resulting in extensive media placements and generating $13,000 in radio sales -- 30% more than their "target" goal
- Management of national events and media outreach for two CMO Council Intelligent Market Engagement (IME) research reports: IBM, CSC & D&B's Business Gain from How You Retain and The Boston Consulting Group's Driving the Bottom Line from the Front Line
- Creation of media strategy and pitches for eDiets.com, resulting in a 30% increase in media placements including WGRT-FM (Detroit), Albany Times Union, Lincoln Journal Star, American Urban Radio Network, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, The Michael Dresser Show, The Indianapolis Star, The Connecticut Post and The Boston Globe -- more than 8.6 million media impressions in less than three months
- Development of communications plan and strategy materials for Alcatel-Lucent thought leadership center
- Development of communications plan and media materials for Partsearch Technologies